Wherein I Fire Facebook

In all the fallout from the Snowden and NSA scandal, I think the only surprise news was that journalists woke up and actually started doing investigative reporting. Checking sources?! Stop the presses!
I don't think anyone with a shred of discernment was shocked that many companies track users and communications. Information is currency and some companies' currency rivals that of governments. Nevertheless, I decided to delete my Facebook account for a few reasons:

  • I wanted to protest (in some small, futile way) the creeping disregard for privacy (Verizon, you're next on my list!)
  • As a journalist, I shudder at the number of my colleagues citing sources from Facebook. Seriously. If you believe things posted on Facebook, I have some great swampland in Florida to sell you.
  • From a job perspective, having a Facebook account doesn't help me. If I want to post public information for potential employers, I'll stick to LinkedIn or this blog.
  • Facebook is incredibly hackable. Again, if I want people to see pictures of me with my prize-winning rutabaga (not a euphemism), I'll post them to either of the above outlets.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Greek Chorus

Your Actual Resume

Our Unemployed Brethren